Helping you to help others
What is involved?
Running a charity is about changing lives, not just making money; we want you to focus on your positive actions rather than on having to negotiate legal obstacles and struggle with compliance. We understand that these are difficult times for charities – especially if you’re being challenged to become self-sustainable. Getting the right legal advice will help you to survive and thrive, whatever your cause.
A charity or other social enterprise has to be realistic and commercially aware to succeed. You require cost-effective and demonstrable added value from your professional advisers. Whether you’re looking for advice on how GDPR will affect your fundraising efforts, or assistance in negotiating a major agreement with a new commercial partner, we can help you to help others.
Why choose Freeths?
- We act for over 200 charities and not-for-profit organisations with a diverse range of needs
- Our Charity team is recommended by the Legal 500 (an independent guide to the legal profession), so you can trust our knowledge and expertise
- We offer a straightforward, informal approach to achieving the results you want
- Our team includes trustees, school governors and fundraisers who understand the issues you face
- We’re fully committed to the charity sector and will work closely with your team to meet your charity’s objectives
Freeths can offer you commercially-minded legal services, focused on managing risk and helping you to get the most impact from your limited resources. Whether you’re protecting the environment or providing care for the most vulnerable people in your community – we’re passionate about providing you with succinct, practical support.
Our experience includes acting for a wide variety of enterprises, from national high profile names to local grassroots organisations, all of which share the goal of making a difference. From setting up a fledgling charity to advising on your governance and the regulatory framework in which you operate, we offer high quality advice, delivered in a friendly and responsive way.
0186 578 1055
0345 050 3273
0345 274 6900
0345 404 4133
0345 128 6962
0345 017 1133
0186 578 1061
0186 578 1154
0345 272 5719
0186 578 1020
0186 578 1168
0345 050 3600
01865 781 023
Remembering a charity in your WillArticles 17th Jun 2020
Workplace Culture & Wellbeing Charity Seminar with Cavendish Cancer Care and Freeths LLPPast Events 10th Dec 2019
Freeths return the support to the Queen Elizabeth hospitalNews 21st Feb 2018
"I just wanted to say another big thank you for all of your support. These things are never easy and straightforward but your help always makes them much more manageable for us and is greatly appreciated."
(Major Charity Client)
"I thought the Pensions team at Freeths dealt with everything very professionally and in good time throughout. I really enjoyed working with the team."
(HR Director of a large military charity)
"Noted for its ‘personal and accountable’ approach and for its ‘attention to detail and efficiency’."
(Legal 500, 2019)
"Freeths LLP is 'a very personable firm that does not baffle clients with legal terms and always has their interests in mind'. The charities team is praised for its 'strong breadth of experience'."
(Legal 500, 2019)
- Acted for a charity in its defence to public procurement challenge proceedings brought by a disappointed bidder for Olympic legacy contracts. This was one of the first cases to impose the automatic suspension in the Public Contracts (Amendments) Regulations 2009. This was resolved on terms favourable to the charity.
- Acted for a charity in relation to the substantial acquisition of a multi-let multi-use commercial property in London. This was by way of grant of an intermediate head lease, subject to the various occupational leases to form part of its endowment funding its operations. The transaction was to a tight timescale.
- Advised one of the largest UK conservation charities on its approach to habitat restoration of large areas of redundant land, using waste materials taken from other large infrastructure projects disposing of these materials.
- Advised a charity with a substantial property portfolio on all aspects of its asset management industry investment purchases and sales of development schemes.
- Advising charities in relation to complex tax issues. This includes calculating inheritance tax liabilities where there is an interaction of the grossing up and abatement rules, advising on Re Benham grossing requirements, negotiations with HM Revenue and Customs, and advising on the mitigation of capital gains tax.
- Advising on and implementing the appointment of a joint general manager for two charities where the manager was employed by one charity and seconded for part of the working week to the second charity.
- Settling favourably, on behalf of various national charities, two separate sensitive and complex spousal Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 claims.
- Liaising on a weekly basis with the Charity Commission in the creation of new corporate entities, in managing requests for various approvals and in the resolution of various regulatory issues.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014