A weight off your shoulders
What is involved?
Every financial transaction you make involves tax, whether you’re an individual or a fully-fledged company. Getting the right advice on taxation law could save you money and it is an essential consideration when managing your assets. The way you organise your shareholding and business structures has direct implications on your tax liabilities. You want to preserve your wealth, while protecting against any risks.
The ever-changing background of tax law makes it important to respond to regulations and ensure your accounts are in line with the law. With tax avoidance increasingly in the public eye, we’ll help guard you from penalties or the wrath of the media. Get in touch with us for sensible tax planning advice.
Why choose Freeths?
- We advise on Corporate, Capital Gains, Income, Inheritance and Stamp Duty Land Tax
- Our team includes tax lawyers and chartered tax advisors for a 360° view of your affairs
- Freeths lawyers clearly explain the traps and pitfalls of tax in plain English, so you know the risks
- We are delighted to have been voted as a Leading Firm for Corporate Tax in the Legal 500 guide
- Enjoy the same level of experience and expertise as large city firms, at a fraction of the cost
- We can combine all tax and legal advice on a transaction, reducing your overall spend
Our taxation solicitors are up to date with how UK law affects corporation tax, mergers, acquisitions and company restructuring.
You can rely on us for great tax property tax planning advice – we are also experts on the structure of collective schemes. Freeths take an analytical yet commercial approach, supporting all types of corporate transactions as well as VAT, Stamp Duty and SDLT planning.
You can expect practical, pragmatic advice on all situations; from owner-managed business, private equity and unit trusts to properties and funds.
These may include exit strategies and offshore structuring, groups of companies, employment tax and remuneration planning (including redundancy).
0345 077 9601
0345 634 1729
0345 274 6947
0345 128 7983
0345 030 5861
0345 634 1738
0345 030 5430
0345 634 9797
0345 077 9577
0345 030 5860
0345 128 7982
0345 274 6812
0345 050 3204
0345 077 9621
0345 166 6267
Autumn Budget 2022: Tax aspectsArticles 17th Jan 2023
Monumental £25m alcohol tax evasion tribunal case decided against HMRC: Court finds HMRC refused to consider evidence from taxpayer and took a ‘‘myopic’’ view of caseNews 12th Oct 2022
Euro Pacific Bank – What to do if you receive a ‘nudge’ from HMRCArticles 1st Sep 2022
"Bob Neal of Freeths LLP advises on a wide variety of tax issues, including those involving M&A, corporate reorganisations and the real estate sector. Clients say: 'From knowledge of tax matters to understanding idiosyncrasies and thinking outside the box, he is just exceptional and incredibly talented'."
(Chambers & Partners, 2018)
"Simon Ellis 'has an unrivalled knowledge of commercial law and a strong appreciation of litigation tactics'."
(The Legal 500, 2017)
"Freeths LLP fields a team of thorough, motivated and knowledgeable individuals who go the extra mile and are a pleasure to work with."
(The Legal 500, 2019)
"Highly skilled and diligent with a commercial understanding of your business."
(The Legal 500, 2020)
- Sale of portfolio of 50+ let commercial properties for circa £60 million, including advice on key VAT and capital allowance issues.
- Demerger of major student accommodation provider, including transfer of properties valued at £12.4 million to new company and onward transfer of that company. Freeths gave comprehensive tax advice on structuring given to ensure complete tax neutrality.
- Successfully appealed against HMRC decision to enforce a £200,000 movement guarantee facility against a leading international haulier.
- Conducted the landmark appeal of European Brand Trading Ltd versus HMRC to the Court of Appeal.
- Advising a non-UK resident on the tax implications of investing in UK commercial property with a view to residential development, giving advice on the most suitable structure for the project.
- Negotiated tax deeds entered into between an incoming corporate shareholder, outgoing shareholder and the target company, as part of a share purchase and subscription transaction.
- Advising on the Stamp Duty Land Tax implications of a client’s acquisition of a £25 million+ residence and surrounding land, obtaining the client a tax liability saving of over £80,000.
- Designing and implementing an employee share option scheme which incorporated growth shares to provide tax efficient value based incentives to key senior executives in anticipation of sale.
- Successfully dealing with a formal enquiry raised by HMRC in relation to a transaction with a Stamp Duty Land Tax liability of £1.2 million.
- Helped structure and drafted the legal documents for an £8 million limited partnership aiming to alleviate the poverty premium.
- Successfully negotiated with HMRC to withdraw Follower Notice and APN penalities levied on our client in respect of a tax avoidance scheme. We also managed to secure a favourable settlement and payment plan for our client with HMRC.
‘Doing the right thing’ is at the heart of Freeths. Find out more about our excellent client service and the strong set of values that guide the way we work.
Talk to us
Freeths are a leading national law firm with 12 offices across the UK. If you have a query about our services or just want to find out more, why not give us a call?
Contact: 03301 001 014